Weeks 12-13: LAS MEXICANAS II

Chavela Vargas

Hola--this is a continuation of last week's email. The vidoes I showed you last night are all below. With the exception of los panchitos (la vida es un sueño) which is easily found on youtube. The class took an unusual turn--it seemed right to me to let that happen (thanks to Natalia por las danzas tradicionales!) (and because of Angelica's presence). And several of you went in and out--which is always  a challenge in terms of continuity. But it's that time of year--and a full full moon.

COMENTRIO: I was sorry to miss  talking about more of the work. "El Brazo" de Kevin--obra bonita! And Mike's Los Angeles. Good channeling... And Alejandro's drawings, which had a nice direct character. And Valdemar's illuminated paper cup--me parecía la obra más abierta que has hecho, buena cosa... And we barely peeked at Ariel's projects, which are always a pleasure to discover more fully. Qué lástima./ And I'd have wanted to know more about Gigie's dark road... There were others, too--the small but  very nicely done paintings by Naomi (little pink one in particular) and Doha's, which maybe you'll comment on en tu cuaderno. And Peony...

So, keep on with LAS MEXICANAS, listen to the songs, check out the videos! You know that I find it important to know who's singing, and what the song is--many of you are much more casual about this--maybe that's something having to do with this time we live in.  I've always found it meaningful to know--to go on learning--and the specifics are part of this...

Next week will be our last regular class--bring new work, together with projects from this week. FIESTA on May 9.   We'll make some plans for this en la próxima!   Tony