Week 14: Carlos Monsiváis essay‏

José Alfredo Jiménez


I mentioned this last night, early on--a Lola Beltrán CD and the link to the Carlos Monsiváis essay on José Alfredo --for those whose Spanish is fluent, I know you'll find this important. Everto y Vreni (y  Lucia y Carolina?) en particular. It's a model of how one can write with intelligence (and not just style) about popular culture...

And the Chavela cd's (from late in her career)--bringing us full  circle. Not a bad thing!

Tony

ps. I know you won't have time for all this, but  do read Monsiváis, and build the downloads into future playlists as well...
_____________

Las Bravías. Here's a download of Lola Beltrán singing her versions of the songs of José Alfredo Jiménez:
LOLA BELTRAN:  http://rapidshare.com/files/2071727145/S%26P%20Mexico%20Lola%20Beltran%20.zip

And a LINK to PDF of Carlos Monsiváis ensayo, "José Alfredo Jiménez: Les diré que llegué de un mundo raro." This is a beautiful essay (in Spanish) that was published as the introduction to  a book of José Alfredo songs. The way Carlos Monsiváis includes his story of Chavela Vargas here brings us full circle for the course:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzlztlpxzr0lipc/Jose-Alfredo-Jimenez-CancionCompleto.pdf


And finally, two later albums from--y quién más--CHAVELA VARGAS:
http://rapidshare.com/files/2572488931/S%26P%20Mexico%20Chavela%20Vargas%20later%20albums.zip